Follow on Facebook

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Every Idle Word

“But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.” (Matthew 12:36)

“And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.” (1 Peter 4:8)

If a personal criticism begins with the phrase “you always” then the speaker is clearly not in the Spirit when the criticism is spoken. Remember that accuser of the brethren is Satan’s primary job description. If the Bible is studied, then the student can come to no other conclusion than that love for our fellow man is to be sought “above all things.” So why do Christians so often dwell on the negative and the faults seen in others? It is not uncommon even for pastors and self proclaimed ministers of the gospel to focus more so on the wrong one has done instead of the infallibility of God’s word and God’s sovereign omnipotent triumph in the salvation of those whom He has chosen to conform to the image of His Son Jesus. I take my place in history among the worst sort of wicked men ever to have walked the earth. Yes, daily I fall short of perfect holiness and spiritual maturity. “But God…” I will not be ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God unto the complete turning around of my life. The fact that the process of my turn around, my sanctification, is not yet complete does not deter me from the confident hope I have of the future grace that has been promised and stored up for me by The Most High God who cannot fail to deliver. Daily I must examine myself to see whether I am in the faith, that Jesus Christ is in me, and that I am in Him. (2 Corinthians 13:5)

And so I admonish us all to be wary of criticism from our closest loved ones and even from our own minds. Let God be true… Greater is He that is in you, but be sure to let the mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus.

The Word of God is the meat that strengthens us against all of our enemies. Forget what man has testified against you and cling to the thing which Mary knew was most needful; the Bread of life, the Living Water, the Anointed One and His Anointing, the author and finisher of our faith, Jesus Christ.

Remember that God’s words are not spoken idly. In the beginning, God, by His Word, created everything out of complete nothingness. Isaiah 55:11 lets us know that God’s Word shall not return unto him void but it shall accomplish that which He pleases, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto He sent it. I can clearly see the love and faithfulness of God throughout history. Where I need to find love now is in the way I treat my fellow man and in the measure of my obedience to God’s Word. I am truly going to have to give an account in the day of judgment for every idle word I have spoken.

Prayer:
Lord, please empower and enable me to fulfill your greatest commandment and love my neighbor as myself. Please help the body of Christ which is the church of God in Christ answer the prayer of Jesus from John 17 that we be one even as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are one. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment