Follow on Facebook

Friday, April 23, 2010

Worldview Discussion Continued

It is better to be divided by truth than to be united in error... Oprah, Dr. Phil, and President Obama say we should embrace all faiths and all views. Not! Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth” in John 18:38. Anyone with an anti-Christian worldview today will try to convince you that truth is subjective and that whatever works for them is their truth. Was Pilate a humanist before his time? www.ministryofwritinghelps.com

If given a one hour interview with Pilate, what would I want to say to him? If Pilate had no authority at the time of my interview I would ask him why he had allowed the Jews to bully him into condemning Jesus to death by crucifixion when he himself had found Jesus guilty of no crime. It seems to me that Pilate would even have been converted had Jesus been willing to converse further with him, but He did not in order that the Scriptures be fulfilled. Jesus said, "Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice” (John 18:37). I would ask Pilate what he was really getting at when he asked Jesus “What is truth?” (John 18:38). Could Pilate's heart really have been so dark and jaded, having succumbed to the expediency of pragmatism which says whatever succeeds or prevails today is truth? I would assume Pilate was sarcastically insinuating that whatever gets us through today is truth.

It is clear that Pilate was quite annoyed with the Jews for putting him on the spot – a spot which taxed not only his executive skills but also, because Jesus was and is truth (John 14:6), burdened the finiteness of man’s ability to reason. Given the opportunity, I would then ask Pilate why he refused to honor the chief priests of the Jews’ protest when they said “Write not, The King of the Jews; but that he said, I am King of the Jews” (John 19:21).

Furthermore, I would ask Pilate what happened to the guards that had been posted outside the tomb from whence Jesus was raised bodily by God Almighty from the dead. I would also ask Pilate if he knew where he would spend eternity if he were to die today and whether he wouldn’t rather be assured of spending it peacefully as a friend of the one who created him than to spend it in a state of ignorance and grief as an enemy of that one true supreme creator and divine ruler of the universe who reigns high above any other god or government, whether it be Brahman, Zeus, or Caesar.

Using Paul as my evangelistic example and seizing the opportunity for the gospel, I would then elaborate on the salvific necessity of the gospel until he either begged to know Jesus or ordered me to leave. I would be sure to read Isaiah 53 aloud and at least the prologue of John’s Gospel, having prayed beforehand for God to open Pilate's eyes and prepare his heart to receive the gospel truth. I would inquire about his wife and family and seek to assure him of God’s grace in healing those who trust in, believe on, and rely upon Him (who is fully God and fully man) and His means of salvation for all who believe on Him (Isaiah 53:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment