Follow on Facebook

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

No Appreciation Necessary

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10)

Whatever one’s contribution to a truly intimate and reverent time of worship, physiological appurtenances and feelings of déjà vu aside, regardless of theological camp, denominational enclosure, age, or gender, a person must eventually weigh the experience against the sovereignty and omnipotence inherent in God’s glory.

In spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24). Reminiscent of something akin to an Elvin Jones or Tony Williams rhythmic etude or improvisatory utterance upon a drum kit, I would imagine my own contribution from behind a battery of percussion at times must seem unintelligible, foreign, and even extremely bizarre by some standards. Yet, as the little drummer boy in the popular Christmas song, I bring my offering. Any sound I coerce from such basic and archaic apparatuses as drums and cymbals is my humble offering unto the King of kings and Lord of Lords. Hallelujah! Oh, what a range of frequencies is the sound of many waters (Psalm 93:4, Revelation 1:15, Revelation 14:2, Revelation 19:6) and simply the blast of God’s holy nostrils caused waters to be gathered, piled up, and consumed (Exodus 15:8, Job 4:9). Just as the feminine is suggested in the masculine, so is violence existent and inherent in the sublime beauty of grace. Hallelujah! Alas, once again I have thought too much and worshiped too little. Perhaps, one day, thinking, doing, and being may perchance be melded into one glorious act of exaltation.

I am content to be completely insignificant in this life. I am but a worm! All of my hope is in things eternal, Almighty God. Lord, please perfect that which concerns me, the good, the bad, and the ugly, so that I may walk more consistently in the Spirit than ever before. Let Your holy Word have free course in me, working in me both to will and to do of Your good pleasure (Philippians 2:13). Help me to remain ignorant enough of my many flaws to be ever more cognizant of Your infinitely glorious perfection in Jesus’ mighty name.

“First and foremost I am a drummer. After that, I'm other things... But I didn't play drums to make money.” (Ringo Starr -quoted in The Big Beat by Max Weinberg, 1984)

Help me to be who You most desire me to be so that I may be my utmost for Your highest in Jesus’ name. Amen.

“Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sov’reign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Refrain:
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!” (At the Cross, Hudson, Isaac Watts, pub.1707,ref. by Ralph E. Hudson, 1885)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMgYbQhcvs


© 2013 Brian L Hunter

No comments:

Post a Comment