Follow on Facebook

Friday, January 15, 2010

“Love is not puffed up…” (1 Corinthians 13:4)

It is a dangerous temptation for a disciple to become so impressed with his or her own spirituality that they lose sight of the fact that not a single one of us is worthy even to lift our eyes towards heaven. Not a single human being has ever arrived at perfect spiritual maturity and holiness. Paul told us he had not “arrived.” (Philippians 3:14) “As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one.” (Romans 3:10) Are we thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think; or, are we thinking soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith? (Romans 12:3) There is so much self promotion going on in the church and marketing of self rather than the gospel seems to have overtaken many today. I am examining myself to see whether I be in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5) “lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” (1 Corinthians 9:27) Therefore, as my friend, if ever I seem out of line to you, spare not to whip me with the Word of God. Upset me if you must; just love me enough to tell me I am wrong. Jesus said, “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” (John 13:35) Help me, my brother and my sister, to do right in the sight of God. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment