Follow on Facebook

Friday, November 6, 2009

Whip It "Before the Butter Sits Too Long" (DEVO 1980)

“So stir up the gift of God that is in thee” (2 Timothy 1:6, KJV) Or, in the words of DEVO, “now whip it into shape, shape it up, get straight, go forward, move ahead, try to detect it, it's not too late to whip it, whip it good.” Paul said in Philippians 3:14, “I press on toward the goal.” My personal experience is that I cannot let down my guard for one moment without it adversely affecting my spiritual life, the absolute top priority. It is not legalism for me to realize that I cannot forgo prayer to watch another repeat of Law & Order, or let the filthy language of anytime television into my ear gate without damage. “For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.” (Galatians 6:8) Darkness and sin are always at the door actively seeking an entrance. If I am not this moment pushing myself towards righteousness, I am slipping into darkness. Sin is actively killing us whenever we cease to actively mortify the deeds of the body. Let us keep praying, Brethren. The whole point of this race is to finish it, having been declared blameless by our Savior who has risen and is at the right hand of God making intercession for us right now. Devotion is love in action and I believe it naturally leads us outwards to be witnesses unto Jesus, knowing Him and making Him known. Evangelism then is more about multiplication than addition. May God bless the friends I may lose by writing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment